Monday 5 November 2007

Things to go wrong

Well, today was nothing special. First started with a unusual rush to go to the ComputerLab, to do tyhings I haven't during the weekend. My supervisor fianlly decided that I need constant and close attention. He stated that we should have meetings every couples days, until I get rid of the major problems I am facing right now.

This is really interesting, beause is the reward of one month doing literally nothing. I realised that during whole last year I kept doing lots of things, and had meetings fortnigthly. Now that I did nothing, three times a week. Maybe the formoula to do something is starting doing nothing (at least at first).

About today's title, my day was useless until some minutes ago. I lost the whole day trying to use and old sofwtare in a new platform. I have been mentally tired of doing a "mental parsing" in my protocols proofs, so i decided to downgrade the Xemacs I use to an older versions, that supposedly didn't had the issue.

I keep reading "Watching the English", and now I tested some of the theories in the book. I tried to start some smalltalk with people by talking about the weather, and surpisingly it worked 100% of the times. It also gave me a clear idea if people were keen or not to talk to me. Very nice....

Discover of the day: "UK is as violent as Brazil(I already suspected). I know people would desagree with me, but tonight I saw a TV show in Five called "street crime live".It depicted how gangs of hoodie divided London regions in territories, creating things very simillar to Rio de Janeiro's slums.
They also think they act to have just respect from other gangs, but they help drug dealers, robbers and shopt lifters to keep their "neighborhood" clean from competition and by consuming. Finally, the difference between London and Rio are basically that Rio is almost double the size (7M against 12M), and that criminality in Rio is divided in Hills, and in London by Postcode. The results of this crazy thing were 22 under-20s stabbed to death just this year. I know that Rio does not even count any more people stabbed (just killed by firearms), but what worries me is that people have false impressions of safety".

1 comment:

renata said...

Hi Jean, now I read your Blog and feel safe I am not losing anything new.