Sunday 18 May 2008

Mac = Crap

Well, lots of people will see this post and get outraged, but it is sadly true. I will explain my impressions and show what happened to me.

First, I saw lots of people migrating to a Mac, because it is a Unix, good hardware, blah,blah blah. Then I decided to give a try. I bought a Macbook, and my problems started.

The macbook worked really OK for 2 days (yes, 2 days = 48 hours), than it started to have problems with my wifi connection at home. The important detail is that I have other 5 equipments running smoothly in the AP, and the AP is top of range which cost me £140, that is much more than an airport extreme.

I then plugged it on the cable and started an arduous search for solutions. They ranged from software trick up to philosophical thins.

The result was, that after two weeks fighting, I took my macbook to the apple store here in Cambridge. They promptly said me that I would have to change my airport card, and that this usually solves the issue. The things is that after 5 days without the computer it came back with the exact same problem. They also confessed that this is a known issue and that they don't have a solution yet. Probably I will have to way for an OS update to fix this.

What made me really sick with apple is that this problem is recurrent, and I saw in forums a lot of people having problems with Macbook and access points. The brands of the APs normally were Linksys (this means cisco), netgear and belkin. This means to me about 40% of the AP market, according to Google trends.

My real deception was that I was expecting something really good from apple, and what I got was just another crappy PC, packed with a fancy OS and plastic. The thing is that no matter what you buy these days, you will get more of the same.

No comments: