Thursday 12 March 2009

XBMC - BBC iPlayer on your big telly

Well, yesterday, after a long log time without update, I decided to update my XBMC. XBMC is a media centre software that I run on my old XBOX, and that support all media types I need, plus some extras, like you tube, national geographic, and since yesterday BBC iPlayer (it is really great to get it on a 32 inches monitor) fifth.


One of the best features it has is the ability to connect to a SMB share available on the network, and since last November I have a 1TB hard drive attached to my main router, making this space available to my Xbox. So from it I have access to all my libraries, including films, music and photos.

It is amazing how the software evolved in the last two years. From a Mplayer skin that ran on the Xbox, to a fully functional media centre software. I'm running right now a Beta version distributed from the SVN, but with all the brand-new functionalities.

Included in those functionalities the brand-new plug-in system, which now enables developers to write new media support to XBMC, like the BBC iPlayer. So, if you are interested in this, here is the URL:


If you want to know more about it, I recommend this article on how to convert your Xbox, and to understand how you can build an amazing media Center with less than £30.

If you are outside the UK, the restrictions on BBC content still apply, but there are other different plug-ins to other different services.

No comments: