Thursday 12 March 2009

Dim Dim - Video Conferencing


I have been searching for good solutions on web-meeting tools for a while. My main objective is to setup a remote training grounds, where I could give some training to people remotely and also keep this for posterity. Almost all the good ones are not free, and the 100% free one just stink.

I was looking for a solution that would be ideal for webcasts and also for teaching purposes. So it should include some VoIP (voice communication), a white board mechanism e also screen sharing.

Skype running on the Mac is a good solution (100% free), but it lacks some of the (free) features I would like, and one is the recording of the conference. Actually its screen sharing is really handy, and I can not understand why it is not available in Windows for the main stream.

Well, after a lot of research I came across this site:

http://www.dimdim.com

Dim Dim is a (most) free solution that has everything I need. Indeed it covers all my requirements, and is free for what I want (less that 20 users). It is a really cool solution that mostly run on adobe flash, and gives you all the functionality needed for a proper teaching session online. These include, a white board, a chat, a camera for the teacher, voice, and screen sharing. All this allied to the possibility of recording everything and download it in .flv, thus enabling you to create your own lectures library.

I will test my main idea next term, trying to put a supervision group to work over this solution.

2 comments:

Douglas Macedo said...

Very nice! ;-)

Marten said...

I want to suggest you try http://www.showdocument.com - its an alternative tool for dimdim that allows document sharing and Free Web meeting in real-time. all the participants in the session see each others' drawing, highlights, etc. It is free and requires no installation.

Josh