Thursday 8 May 2008

Back to Track and Macbook wifi problems

Well this post is to come back to track with the blog, but also to tell about my new experiences, now with a real macintosh( Not the hackintosh as before).

The first two weeks were horroble, I dicovered an imcompatibility with my WIFI router. After calling apple' s support and draytek (my router brand) support, I solved the problem by myself.

Here are the discoveries:

- The macbook/macos x has a problem of not working very well with short preamble WIFI configurations, so, put your wifi router always in Long preamble. It makes your connection slower, but it with still exist. This means a lot better than before :)

- Change the following parameter on your Macbook

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

This will make the TCP stack behave differently, making you not waiting for delayed/lost packets that your not that realiable wifi connection will bring.

Well this solved my problems. I hope this post can solve someone else.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Jean
I have exactly the same problem. Is your solution still working? I don't want to change my configuration if the solution doesn't work.
Many thanks
Kevin

Jean E. Martina said...

Actually you should follow the next posts. I am answering you right now from my macbook. Its has been more than a day with it working fine. Lets see how it goes during the week.

Anonymous said...

where do i go to enter in the command

Jean E. Martina said...

open a terminal...

Unknown said...

I have a MacBook as well with the same WiFi problem. My router's brand is Netgear — albeit was defaulted to Long Preamble. So half my problem was fixed. Without your little Bash one-liner, there, I would've been having glacial speed for a long time.